ILP (Inner Line Permit) and PAP (Protected Area Permit)

(ILP) Inner Line Permit for Nagaland

The Inner Line Permit is an official travel document issued by the Government of Nagaland to allow inward travel of Indian citizens of other states into a protected/restricted area for a limited period. It is obligatory for every Indian citizens other than Nagaland to obtain permit for entering into the protected state of Nagaland. This undertaking is an effort by the Government of Nagaland to regulate the prevailing issue of Illegal immigration and to generate vital statistics for Tourism and other inter-state businesses. The Inner Line Permit segregates the tourists and Govt. official of other states from the other categories to promote tourism and development. Hence a separate Inner Line Permit (ILP) is issued. The Inner Line Permit (ILP) Regulation Act (Section III of the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation Act of 1873) is in operation in the Naga Hill district (Present Nagaland state) since 1873. It has been promulgated to safeguard the identity and the very existence of the indigenous people of Nagaland from exploitation by outsiders.

Inner Line Permits can be obtained from the Resident Commissioner’s office of Nagaland House in New Delhi and Kolkata and all district administration offices in the state of Nagaland.

Alder Tours and Travels also offers Inner Line Permit services for travelers. Tourist and visitors can apply online and the processing is taken care by Alder Tours and Travels. Most of the time it gets done in a day however can go to the extend of 24-72 working hours.

The link is shown here :

Restricted Area Permit (RAP) / Protected Area Permit (PAP)

Foreign Tourist are no longer required to obtain any permit before visiting Nagaland. This was done to promote tourism to the North East and permit requirements were relaxed for foreigners. However citizens of Afghanistan, China and Pakistan and foreign nationals of Pakistani origin, are required to obtain a special permit with the prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs.

For more detail information about RAP/PAP you may check the Ministry of Home Affairs FAQ.